Funny enough to win a $2,500 prize package?
Each year hundreds of secondary school students from Years 9-12 participate in the Class Clowns competition across the country – discovering or refining their skills in writing and performing comedy and taking it outside of the classroom to a wider audience. And it’s free to enter!
- Open to secondary students in Years 9-12 or 14-18 years old
- 3-5 minute time limit for acts
- Up to 3 people in an act
- Routines must be original, well rehearsed, avoid the offensive (you know what we mean) and funny!
- Sketch acts, stand up, parody and musical comedy all welcome
How it works:
- Heats around the country (check out the calendar here) starts with a 2 hour workshop/rehearsal with a professional comedian to help polish your act
- Then the show kicks off with our comedian as MC (audience most welcome and actively encouraged!), entrants are judged and winners go through to State Finals
- State Final winners are taken to the National Grand Final in Melbourne during the high-profile hijinks that is the Comedy Festival in March/April – for a chance to win $1,500 for yourself and a $1,000 workshop package for your school.
Not sure if you want to participate?
Then come along to the show to see what it’s all about – it is a (cheap and sometimes free!) rollicking good time and may provide some inspiration for your own written or performance work back in the classroom. Click here to see the calendar and find a show in your local area.
Don’t fit the criteria for Class Clowns?
Then sign up to the RAW Comedy open-mic competition for up and coming comedians which is also run by Melbourne International Comedy Festival.
"The standard was incredibly high – young, talented and above all, funny! I loved witnessing what will be the start of many comedy careers, I look forward to watching and borrowing money from them in the future."
- Celia Pacquola, National Final Judge 2012
2013 National Grand Final Winner - James Warren, and runner ups Lachie Clarke, Sam Perry, and Emma Hogan.