THE SEARCH IS ON FOR AUSTRALIA’S FUNNIEST TEENS!!!
Each year hundreds of secondary school students from Years 9-12 participate in the Class Clowns competition across the country – discovering or refining their skills in writing and performing comedy and taking it outside of the classroom to a wider audience.
Registrations for the 2017 Class Clowns competition are now open.
Participant entry is FREE!
- Open to secondary students in Years 9-12 or 14-18 years old
- 3-5 minute time limit for acts
- Up to 3 people in an act
- Routines must be original, well-rehearsed, avoid the offensive, and funny!
- Sketch acts, stand up, physical, musical… ANY style of comedy welcome
How it works:
- Heats around the country during March 2017 start with a 2 hour workshop/rehearsal with a professional comedian to help polish your act
- Then the show kicks off with our comedian as MC (audience most welcome and actively encouraged!), entrants are selected by guest judges to go through to State Finals
- State Final winners are transported to the National Grand Final in Melbourne during the high-profile hijinks that is the Comedy Festival 2017 – for a chance to win $1,500 for yourself and a $1,000 workshop package for your school
Frequently Asked Questions/Thoughts…
I’m not sure if I want to participate yet!
Then come along to the show to see what it’s all about – it is a (cheap and sometimes free!) rollicking good time and may provide some inspiration for your own written or performance work back in the classroom. Click here to see the calendar and find a show in your local area.
I don’t fit the criteria for Class Clowns!
If you are over 17, you can also sign up to the RAW Comedy open-mic competition for up and coming comedians which is also run by Melbourne International Comedy Festival.
I live in a regional or remote area and am unable to attend a Class Clowns heat but REALLY REALLY want to!
For more info on how we can make this possible, contact the Class Clowns Producer via 03 9245 3700 or email email@example.com
Am I funny enough?
The answer is generally YES!!!! You will never know until you give it a go. The beauty of Class Clowns is we have professional comedians give you some feedback about your material which can help you figure that out. What is the actual worst thing that could happen? People laugh at you? Yep, that’s the point.
“How are these kids so damn good? I better enjoy the spotlight while it lasts because in a few years they will be taking my job!” – Joel Creasey, National Grand Final Judge 2015