About RAW Comedy
What is RAW Comedy?
- RAW Comedy is Australia's largest and most prestigious comedy competition.
- RAW Comedy happens in every capital city in Australia and in some regional centres between January and March annually.
- You enter your details and your preferred heat when registering online.
- You perform a 5 minute spot of new, original comedy material at the heat.
- Heats are compered by a professional comedian and are open to the public to attend.
- The best acts from the heats progress to appropriate finals.
- The best acts from the State Finals generally go onto the National Final.
- The National Grand Final is held in the Melbourne Town Hall as a feature event of the Melbourne International Comedy Festival.
Registrations for RAW Comedy are closed for 2021. Check back later or follow us on Facebook to stay up to date with all news and competition announcements.
Melbourne International Comedy Festival openly encourages participation from people of all backgrounds and abilities, and is committed to providing a safe, inclusive and respectful environment for all. If you need any assistance with your registration or have any questions regarding the physical requirements to compete in the RAW Comedy competition, please contact email@example.com or (03) 9245 3700.
Want to try comedy, but not sure where to start?
How do you write material?
What if you bomb on stage?
What is the secret to success?
We think the best people to answer these questions are the comedians who’ve “been there, done that”!
We asked some of Australia’s funniest folk for tips and tricks to get you started on your comedy journey and they’ve given candid answers to tricky questions. Join Rhys Nicholson, Dane Simpson, Cal Wilson, Ivan Aristeguieta, Michelle Brasier, Geraldine Hickey, Claire Hooper and Annie Louey, as they guide you through writing jokes, stagecraft and everything in between.
To access the full series of video resources simply register for RAW Comedy and we’ll email you details for the full suite of videos, including:
- How to write material
- What not to do
- What to do before hitting the stage
- What to keep in mind on stage
- What are the judges looking for?
- What if you bomb?
- How to use the stage
These invaluable resources are exclusively available for Melbourne International Comedy Festival RAW Comedy participants.